Saturday, 17 January 2009

Nicks on, Nixon

Charlie: Jeez, Blonde on Blonde. Yes. That was another one I played until it literally buzzed. I even started liking the buzz after a while. There's such subtleties in it. Little bits of Texas Swing style picked guitar in the background, honky tonk piano, unashamed shit kicking rock and roll. And it's bloody funny. I remember playing Brand New Leopard Skin Pill Box Hat to the boys when they were little. My goodness that made them laugh - especially when they eventually figured out what was going on in the Garage.

SD: Yeah, smutty. Ain't it just like the night to play tricks when you're tryin' to be so quiet? That line bloody kills me with respect, followed by

We sit here stranded though we're all doin our best to deny it And Louise holds a handful of rain, tempting you to defy it. Lights flicker from the opposite loft, In this room the heat pipes just cough, The country music station plays soft, But there's nothing really nothing to turn off.....


A man could die happy if he'd written even half of those four lines, don't you think?


Charlie: Yes, but what about Hendrix too. Inspired! I knew there was something I was craving.
I remember a line that went something like "Pass me that bottle and I'll sing you a real song". What was that from?

SD: It's called "My Friend". Will Newman used to cover it very well, but he'd forget some of the lyrics, of course. Will's blues band, Lumber Puncture, did a gig last night in Leeds - I'd've invited you down, but I was stopping over in Leeds, then took the dude to Preston where he's best-manning on a stag do for his longtime schoolfriend.


Charlie: If regurgiture is not yet a word then it's only a matter of time. I read recently that the Oxford Dictionary is removing 7 words this year to make room for 7 new ones. I wonder if there's a place where they keep alll the old words that nobody ever uses anymore. Or are they shredded and then incinerated just in case they fall into the wrong hands? I think we should be told.

SD: It's a conspiracy, dude, a secret plan to achieve an evil or illegal end: cabal, collusion, connivance, intrigue, machination,,,,,,,



I've just purposely bought today's Independent because it's got the Frost v Nixon real interviews in it. Do you remember Peter Evans, the art teacher who did a swap with an American teacher who sheepishly told us of the slogan "Nicks on, Nixon"?

I think I should put all this straight into the blog. If folks don't understand it, they can do the research, or just bog off!!!