Tuesday, 2 December 2008

Around Grasmere, Cumbria

I'd parked between Ambleside and Rydal (Cumbria, UK), then ridden my skinny bike halfway up Dunmail Raise before becoming so hot (and worn out), that I stopped and removed my sweatening waterproofs and helmet. Predictably the rain became much heavier. The descent back the way I'd come was fun, of course, but even so 2/3 of the way down I turned off into the valley bottom and away by muddy lanes to the centre of Grasmere.




I bimbled along the west side of the lake, ground a short way up Red Bank and walked the rest. (When had I finally realised that it really is not disgraceful to walk with a bicycle?). At the top I turned onto the smooth enough bridleway and rolled downhill much of the way back to the van. Preferring the lightness and easy portability of road bikes, I've never owned a mountain bike.

In Zeffirelli's in Ambleside I ate much less than usual, but what I really need is to eat nothing until such time as I lose the 35lb which wrapped itself around me after I'd stopped smoking (on 10 Feb 2007). Once "enlightened" I suppose I'd be able to ride so far and so fast that my cycling travels would probably feature in national newspapers.

Click the title of this article for a link to additional images from this bicycle ride.